I love the power and simplicity of Evernote. Having used it for a little while, I have some suggestions I wanted to share with you (hopefully someone from Evernote sees this, because improvement recommendations sent to their support box seem to get nowhere).
- You can email notes into Evernote and they get saved into your default notebook. I would love for my Evernote account to have multiple email addresses, each saving a note to a different notebook with particular tags (like a predefined filter).
- Evernote has spent a lot of time making their web client better but I still find it clunky and difficult to work with. I wish their clients (Windows/Apple) had a “thin” mode where your database was not downloaded locally but accessed via the web without leaving traces on the local PC. This would be handy in situations like a work PC where you need the client’s full features but don’t want a copy of your complete database downloaded on the PC.
- Evernote should include some basic image editing features such automatically straightening, cropping, rotating, and enhancing of scanned documents or images.
- I know the real power of Evernote is its awesome search capabilities but I use Evernote as my GTD Reference system and there are notes that never need to come up in a search. I wish there was a per note feature to exclude a note from coming up in a search.
- I have multiple notebooks and hundreds of tags. I wish there was a way to configure tags to pick up all notes assigned to a tag regardless of what notebook I am currently in. Currently it only displays the notes with the selected tag in the active notebook.
- I would like the web clipper to have a set date option directly when clipping a page and note have to go into the full client to make the change.
- I want metadata templates (or note templates). Let’s say I have a bunch of contact notes in a notebook or assigned to a particular tag, I wish I could configure Evernote to show a default pre-defined field note (i.e. with Name, address, tel #, etc). The templates should be user definable.
- If I pick a particular tag, I would like to be able to print out the note titles as a list. I use Evernote for GTD and this missing feature is a real pain.
- I want to be able to encrypt an entire note regardless of the content. Come on Evernote, security is top of mind for most people.
- Currently when someone shared a notebook with me (with full access), I can create new notes in it but I can't move or copy existing notes. Why not?
- Notebooks shared with me should be visible on my main Account tab and not on a separate Shared tab.
- I use to use SmugMug.com to share my photos with friends and family. One cool feature was custom URLs where I could map a URL I owned (i.e. photos.kiledjian.com) directly to my SmugMug account. This could be really cool for Evernote. Evernote could have a public Evernote site for customers where we could publish info we deem public (like a mini blog).
This is my rant for now. I am sure more suggestions will come up in a couple of months…
Other Articles you may like:
- Creating the paperfree work environment with Evernote
- Review of the free scan to cloud software - ScanDrop
- Workflowy is a great list manager
- The Getting Things Done Workflow (GTD)
- How to tag information
I recently had some more suggestions for new Evernote features:
- I would love to be able to work with notes for 2 separate tags in 2 separate panes simultaneously. Multi-pane Evernote option would be great for GTD users.
- A windows phantom print driver to get content into Evernote (Apple has had this for a while).
- I would like them to increase the file/note size limits for premium users. I don't upload huge files often but once in a while it bothers me when I can't get that one file into it.
- Evernote should have a built in POP/IMAP client. I would love to be able to have Evernote pull my mail from my IMAP server and archive it in Evernote. You can always create a forward rule but this is clunky and not the best option.
- I would like to be able to format Evernote notes using markdown sometimes. Would make like a little simpler.
- Export to markdown. I user Evernote to write and store my blog posts... It would be super useful if it could export a note in Markdown.