I had written an article entitled "Counterfeit USB chargers on eBay may be dangerous" in November 2012 and I strongly recommend you read that article.
Now we learn that a 23 year old chinese woman may have been electrocuted as she answered an iPhone that was charging. The South China Morning Post and Sina new now report that the woman may have been using a "3rd party" charger (aka counterfeit). CCTV claims to have a photo showing the damaged iPhone and the charger that cause the users unexpected death.
Even a CCTV expert claimed that counterfeit chargers may use cheaper components that send the full unregulated current to the phone.
the investigation is being handled by the Chinese police and Apple has pledged full cooperation.
Image courtesy of MacRumors.