One of the questions I get asked the most is about what batteries types and brands readers should buy.
I wrote an article in December (link) explaining the difference between high/low drain devices and when you should use alkaline/lithium batteries.
I'll wait here while you go and quickly read that article... Go on... I'll wait. OK. So my top 5 favorite batteries are:
- Energizer Ultimate (Lithium)
- Energizer Advanced (Lithium)
- Duracell Quantum (Alkaline)
- Duracell Ultimate (Alkaline)
- Kirkland signature (Alkaline)
How did I build this list? Easy I did real world tests. I bought the freshest batteries I could find (about 20 different brands from name brands to store labels) and then I performed the following tests:
- hours of use in a incandescent bulb Maglite flashlight
- hours of use in a LED bulb LedLenser flashlight
- number of pictures in a point and shoot camera
- hours of use in a kids toy
Above you see the very best performers in the disposable battery category. Good rechargeables typically perform best in high drain devices but that is a different article for a different day.